Facts & Figures

Personnel

Total number of staff 506
Thereof   
Scientists 320
Technical staff 117
Administrative staff 49
Apprentices 20
In addition  
Scholarship holders 36
Doctoral students 111
Guest scientists 40
Percentage of female academic staff 24%
Percentage of female group leaders in science 27%

Promotion of young talents

Doctoral candidates 111
PhD theses completed in 2020 19
Master and Diploma theses completed in 2020 14
Scholarship holders 36
Junior Research Groups 11
Apprentices 20

 

Budget

Institutional funding in 2020 (in million EUR) 33.8
Third-party funding in 2020 (in million EUR) 11,4
Third-party funding as a share of the total budget 25 %

Excellence & Competitiveness

Total number of  ERC Grants 10

Highly Cited Scientists

Participation in ct.qmat Cluster of Excellence

Coordination of the EU Training Network BIOREMIA

Two Leibniz Prize Winners (2009, 2018)

Cooperation with universities

Three Directors appointed on joint professorships with TU Dresden
One Director appointed on joint professorship with TU Chemitz
One Junior professorship with TU Dresden
One Temporary professorship jointly appointed with TU Bergakademie Freiberg
One Honorary professorship at TU Dresden
Two Honorary professorships at TU Bergakademie Freiberg

Part of Collaborative Research Centre „Correlated Magnetism: From Frustration to Topology“ (SFB 1143)

Coordination of two DFG Priority Programs, one on high temperature superconductivity in Iron pnictides (SPP 1458) and one on caloric effects in ferroic materials (SPP 1599).

History

The IFW Dresden was founded on January 1, 1992 transforming the former Academy Institute to an Institute of the ‘Blaue Liste’. It emerged from the largest materials science center of the former GDR, which was at the time already internationally acknowledged. Since then the IFW developed into a leading institute in selected topics of materials science.